Publications can also be accessed through WRAP (Warwick Research Active Portal).
Note on Author Order: Several of my papers (e.g. [4,8,9,10,11]) list deliberately the authors in alphabetical order. I have been introduced to this practice by Alan Sokal, and later by Idan Tuval, two of the most brilliant and intellectually honest people I know. Although I do not myself follow this policy all the time (mostly for “political” reasons), I do think it should be promoted within our community as a way to go beyond the quick and blind ranking of scientists’ contributions solely based on the number of first or last authorships in their publication record.
25. J. Arrieta, M. Polin, R. Saleta-Piersanti and I. Tuval. Dial-a-Plume: Localised Photo-Bio-Convection on Demand. Submitted.
24. Y. Liu, R. Claydon, M. Polin*, and D. R. Brumley*. Transitions in synchronization states of model cilia through basal-connection coupling. Journal of the Royal Society: Interface 15, 20180450 (2018). (* Joint last authors) [ArXiv Preprint][Supplementary Material including animations]
22. J. Arrieta, A. Barreira, M. Chioccioli, M. Polin, and I. Tuval. Phototaxis beyond turning: persistent accumulation and response acclimation of the micro alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Scientific Reports 7, 3447 (2017) [ArXiv Preprint].
21. D.R. Brumley, N. Bruot, J. Kotar, R.E. Goldstein, P. Cicuta, and M. Polin. Long-range interactions, wobbles and phase defects in chains of fluid-coupled oscillators. Physical Review Fluids 1, 081201(R) (2016). [ArXiv Preprint].
20. R. Jeanneret, M. Contino, and M. Polin. A brief introduction to the model microswimmer Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. European Physical Journal Special Topics, 225, 2141 (2016). DOI:10.1140/epjst/e2016-60065-3. [ArXiv Preprint].
19. R. Jeanneret, D. O. Pushkin, V. Kantsler, and M. Polin. Particle entrainment dominates the interaction of microalgae with micron-sized objects. Nature Communications, 7, 12518 (2016). DOI: 10.1038/ncomms12518 [ArXiv Preprint].
16. D.R. Brumley, M. Polin, T. J. Pedley, and R. E. Goldstein. Metachronal waves in the flagellar beating of Volvox and their hydrodynamic origin. Journal of the Royal Society: Interface, 12, 20141358 (2015).
14. K. C. Leptos, Y. K. Wan, M. Polin, I. Tuval, A. Pesci, and R. E. Goldstein. Antiphase synchronisation in a flagellar-dominance mutant of Chlamydomonas. Physical Review Letters, 111, 158101 (2013).
13. V. Kantsler, J. Dunkel, M. Polin, and R.E. Goldstein. Ciliary Contact Interactions Dominate Surface Scattering of Swimming Eukaryotes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), 110(4), 1187-1192 (2012).
12. D. R. Brumley, M. Polin, T. J. Pedley, and R. E. Goldstein. Hydrodynamic synchronization and metachronal waves on the surface of the colonial alga Volvox carteri. Physical Review Letters, 109, 268102 (2012). Selected for a Synopsis in Physics: M. Rini. Paddling in Sync.
11. R. E. Goldstein, M. Polin, and I. Tuval. Emergence of synchronized beating during the regrowth of eukaryotic flagella. Physical Review Letters, 107, 148103 (2011).
10. T. M. Garoni, G. Ossola, M. Polin, and A. D. Sokal. Dynamic critical behavior of the Chayes-Machta algorithm for the random-cluster model. I. Two dimensions. Journal of Statistical Physics, 144(3), 459-518 (2011).
9. K. Drescher, R. E. Goldstein, N. Michel, M. Polin, and I. Tuval. Direct measurement of the flow field around freely swimming microorganisms. Physical Review Letters, 105, 168101 (2010). Selected for a Viewpoint in Physics: D. Saintillan, A quantitative look into microorganism hydrodynamics. Physics 3, 84 (2010).
8. R. E. Goldstein, M. Polin, and I. Tuval. Noise and synchronization in pairs of beating eukaryotic flagella.Physical Review Letters, 103, 168103 (2009).
7. M. Polin, I. Tuval, K. Drescher, J. P. Gollub, and R. E. Goldstein. Chlamydomonas swims with two “gears” in a eukaryotic version of run-and-tumble locomotion. Science, 325, 487-490 (2009). Selected for Perspective article: R. Stocker, and W. M. Durham, Tumbling for Stealth?, Science 325, 400 (2009).
6. M. Polin, Y. Roichman, and D. G. Grier. Auto-calibrated colloidal interaction measurements with extended optical traps. Physical Review E, 77, 051401 (2008).
5. M. Polin, D. G. Grier, and Y. Han. Colloidal electrostatic interactions near a conducting surface. Physical Review E, 76, 041406 (2007).
4. Y. Deng, T. M. Garoni, J. Machta, G. Ossola, M. Polin, and A. D. Sokal. Critical behavior of the Chayes-Machta-Swendsen-Wang dynamics. Physical Review Letters, 99, 055701 (2007).
3. M. Polin, D. G. Grier, and S. Quake. Anomalous vibrational dispersion in holographically trapped colloidal arrays. Physical Review Letters, 97, 088101 (2006).
2. M. Polin, K. Ladavac, S. Lee, Y. Roichman, and D. G. Grier. Optimized Holographic Optical Traps. Optics Express, 13, 5831-5845 (2005).
1. S. Lee, K. Ladavac, M. Polin, and D. G. Grier. Observation of flux reversal in a symmetric optical thermal ratchet. Physical Review Letters, 94, 110601 (2005).